SENATOR HOTEL HISTORIC RENOVATION
Facing the State Capitol complex, The Senator Hotel at 1121 L Street is a Renaissance Revival style, nine-story building constructed in a “C” shape around the first floor lobby. The building was designed by architects Kenneth Mac Donald and G. Albert Lansburgh, in 1924. The first floor façade is fronted with a long colonnaded arcade running the entire L Street elevation of the building. This arcade is covered with peach colored terra cotta scored to simulate stone blocks, pink cement plaster covers the upper levels of the building. Since its opening the Hotel has served as a key meeting place for state legislators and lobbyists. It has also played host to Presidents Harding, Nixon, Ford, and Carter. This historic landmark had fallen into disrepair in the late 1970's. The Senator Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and the exterior was repaired and preserved. The Grand ball room was brought back to its original historic use. The remaining hotel floors were converted into office use. The project was awarded an AIA Historic renovation award.
National Historic Register #79003459
Richard Harper, Project Architect, Carissimi Rohrer Harper Associates